MARK YOUR CALENDARS - THE CELEBRATION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN! DID YOU KNOW LCR is 60 years young???
60 years ago, a group of courageous people of God joined together to sign the charter for The Lutheran Church of the Resurrection. On December 13th, 1955 they stepped forward in faith to establish a strong, faith-filled congregation in Yardley, PA, which thrives today!
We have come far from those first days when the congregation worshipped in a local school. We built a sanctuary, added a fellowship hall, and expanded with an educational wing. We have celebrated together as members were baptized, confirmed, and married, and we grieved together as saints left us for the church triumphant. New members have joined us, as others moved away. We have reached out to our neighbors as we worshipped in local nursing homes, fed the hungry, clothed those in need, taught the children, rejoiced at picnics and festivals, rebuilt a home destroyed by a flood, traveled to Africa, shared our abundance at yard sales, sang to the glory of God, and prayed for our world. Through it all we, the children of God at LCR, have held Christ at our center as we desired to give back to God for all that we have been given.
We have additional opportunities to give back as we kick off the celebration of 60 years of ministry at LCR during a weekend of service and celebration. Box City will take place on Friday, December 4th. We hope you will support our youth who will be sleeping outside that night as they raise funds to help those experiencing homelessness. We will come together for a single worship service at 10:00am on Sunday, December 6th. Pastor Violet Little, pastor at The Welcome Church, an ELCA congregation and a church without walls, will be our guest preacher that day. The Welcome Church ministers with people living homeless in the City of Philadelphia. A cake reception will follow the service as we enjoy a time of fellowship and conversation. Following the reception, sandwiches will be made which will be distributed following The Welcome Church service which will occur on Logan Square at 3:00pm that afternoon.
YOU are invited and encouraged to participate in any or all of the events planned for this important weekend in December. All are welcome!
* Support our youth and those they serve with your financial pledge to Box City.
* Participate in The Joy Of Sox project. Our youth will be collecting new socks to be given to this project which distributes the socks to people in Philadelphia experiencing
homelessness. Men's, women's or children's new socks will be collected. See article below for further information.
* Donate bread, lunch meat, cheese, peanut butter or jelly for the Sandwich project.
* Give of your time to help assemble the sandwiches.
* Pray for our congregation as we celebrate our anniversary - pray for those who will be served and those who serve. Hold in prayer the pastor who God is preparing for us, even now.
* Worship with us as we celebrate our heritage and history both at LCR and with The Welcome Church on the 6th of December.
* Rejoice! 60 years of ministry is something to celebrate!!